Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ah January!

January is always a weird month for the crew of the Schooner Freedom. We all wait with baited breath to see the week's forecast: warm and sunny, cloudy and breezy, or really sunny and freezing? And we've seen all of those weather conditions. Just last week I happily sailed a Day Sail and a Sunset Sail in shorts and a tee shirt and I think, how blessed are we that we live in Florida and enjoy weather like this is January? A week later, these thoughts are gone from our minds when our temperatures are a high of 60. I know, we're complete and total wimps. We whine and moan, until I see the forecast for Barrow, Alaska. For those of you not familiar with Barrow, Alaska, it is the northernmost point of the United States. A few of us have friends who live in that area. The Freedom also has a sister ship that runs charters in Seward, although not year round. I frequently check the forecast up there, just to make myself feel better. Today's forecast for Barrow reads, from the National Weather Service:
Today...Mostly cloudy. Blowing snow. Temperatures 15 below to 25 below. West winds 25 to 30 mph diminishing to 15 mph in the afternoon. Local wind chill to 50 below in the morning.

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Lows around 25 below. West winds to 10 mph.

Yeah, I feel better already. A nice jacket and a hat makes everything better. And, as Jimmy Buffet says:

Yeah, they're freezin' up in Buffalo stuck in their cars
And I'm lyin' here 'neath the sun and the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment